As is to be expected, there is a very limited supply of Alpina service wristwatches in acceptable condition. In addition, authentic pieces from the 1930s and 1940s have a notable disadvantage, judged by today’s proportions. Their case diameters ranged from just 32 to about 35 millimetres.
Reason enough for Alpina to create attractive new interpretations of these historical wristwatches. For the design basics of the cases, dials and hands, the product designers took a good look at the sought-after originals. Beyond that, these timepieces are in every respect up to today’s standards. For one thing, unlike the luminescent radium used in the early models, the Super-LumiNova luminescent material used on the dial and hands is completely safe and of exceptional quality. The stainless steel case with a contemporary thickness of 41,5 millimetres and screwed case back can withstand 5 bars of water pressure.
The in-house AL-710 automatic calibre can be considered as a particular refinement. The form of the black-coated ball bearing rotor that oscillates back and forth is an unmistakable reminder of the significant pendulum rotor of the Alpina 582 Manufacture calibre introduced in 1949. Beautifully decorated with Côtes de Genève and circular-graining, the piece has a diameter of 30.5 millimetres and a depth of 6,3 millimetres.
All the bridges and cocks are bevelled and rhodium-finished. When the watch has been fully wound, 42 hours of power reserve are available. The large glucydur balance has a frequency of 28,800 vibrations per hour.
Three central hands indicate the hours, minutes and seconds. The nostalgic look also calls for the date hand to be positioned at 6 o’clock. For a watch movement that has been completely developed and produced in-house, the watchmakers needed 134 components.